Many women concentrate on the health of their curls while completely neglecting their scalp. However, the health of your scalp is just as important to maintaining a gorgeous mane. But why? Well, poor scalp health can lead to a dry and itchy scalp that opens the door for dandruff. And dandruff is not fab! Your scalp can also become sore and inflamed therefore restricting hair growth. Your scalp has pores just like the rest of your skin. The dirt and product buildup need to be cleaned out of the pores of your scalp to prevent itching and hair growth restriction. Of course everyone’s scalp is different and, outside of the basic needs, need something different. Some scalps are dry, some are oily, while others are naturally tender. Only you can decide what your scalp needs. But, here are a few tips to get you going:
1. Wash your hair more often if your scalp tends to accumulate build up easily and less often if you have a dry scalp.
2. When washing your hair, concentrate on your scalp to ensure you are getting all of the weeks buildup out of your scalp.
3. After washing your hair, be sure to moisturize your scalp and then your hair. A good way to do this is to put your moisturizer on your finger tips and massage it into your scalp.
4. Depending on your dryness level, give yourself hot oil treatments about once a month. This is the best way to give your scalp the moisture it needs.
5. Don’t wear your hair in overly tight styles. Styles that are tight can put stress on your hair causing it to break as well as stress on your scalp causing it to be sore and inflamed.
Remember, your scalp needs just as much attention as the rest of your hair. The rest of your hair will thank you for it!